To enlighten the mind by way of the Arts through the African-American experience.
Stage Aurora, a 501 c (3) non-profit organization, launched its Mainstage of Theatre, Dance, and Music in 2003 under the leadership of Darryl Reuben Hall and began as an opportunity to provide the underserved people of Jacksonville’s Northside community with a venue to grow, share and exhibit their professional skills, creative works of art and culture.
The Main Stage has produced Pulitzer Prize Winners THE COLOR PURPLE, FENCES, DRIVING MISS DAISY and TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD; and Tony Award Winners DREAMGIRLS, THE WIZ, and A RAISIN THE SUN. Other classics from the New York stage include CROWNS, MISS EVERS’ BOYS, MAMA, I WANT TO SING; and a community favorites AVery Merry Jacksonville Christmas and Darryl Reuben Hall’s FRAT HOUSE. To date, Stage Aurora has produced over 60 professional productions to critical success: Lorraine Hansberry’s A RAISIN IN THE SUN ‘was both splendid and captivating’, Langston Hughes’ BLACK NATIVITY “All color and life and unbelievable, this is a miraculous spectacle of Biblical and artistic proportions”; Tom Stolz’s MAHALIA as ‘an exceptional masterpiece’, and Darryl Reuben Hall’s FRAT HOUSE “impressively choreographed, energetic, and lots of fun.
Stage Aurora annually reaches well over 3,000 students from the Jacksonville area through the following programs:
- 100 Youth Voices – Musical Theatre Program (ages 5-21)
- Performing Arts Literacy (PAL) Initiative (Kindergarten – 2nd grade)
- Performing Arts Summer Institute (ages 6-18)
- Annual Aurora Jacksonville Black Arts Festival
- Aurora Lecture Series
Local, Statewide, and National recognition is seen through a variety of awards: Rosetta LeNoire Award nomination for Diversity from Actors' Equity Association; the Onyx Award, Individual Arts Award from the Cultural Council of Greater Jacksonville, among others.
National celebrities who've graced the stage at Stage Aurora include: Ella Joyce, Tony Award Winner Melba Moore, T'Keyah Crystal Keymah, Daniel Beaty, Kim Coles among Artistic Associates: Scott Whitehurst (WhiteRobin Group), Angela Robinson (Tyler Perry's The Haves and The Have Nots, Broadway’s The Color Purple), Sondra Bonitto (Broadway’s Ragtime), Jannie Jones (Broadway’s The Full Monty), Roumel Reaux (Broadway’s The Wiz), and Natasha Yvette Williams (Broadway's The Gershwin's Porgy and Bess).
Stage Aurora Theatrical Company, through its Main Stage Series of Drama, Comedy, and Music, continues to serve nearly 25, 000 residents of Jacksonville and North Florida.
- To collaborate and share with existing theatrical organizations both locally and nationally in an effort to present the best artistic work.
- To develop a multicultural audience that best exemplifies the standards of Stage Aurora as an institution of the essence of the human experience.
- To serve as an establishment and foundation for the creation and growth of new works of new artists, writers, directors, musicians, lyricists combined with new ideas and concepts exploring creativity and innovations in theatrical production.